This is a fun tutorial. We will learn how to create a picture cube from a photograph. What’s nice about the tutorial is that it also gives off a cool 3D appearance to your artwork or photography.
1. Create new RGB document. Create new layer by clicking on “new layer” icon. We will use this layer to create out cube effect.
2. Goto Filter > Render > 3d Transform. In new window that will popup, choose instrument “cube” and draw a cube, while holding the Shift button. Choose instrument “trackball”. Keep scrolling the cube until the transparent part goes to the background, leaving 3d white surface.
3. Click OK button:
4. Open image you want to use for this tutorial:
5. Each side of the cube is a perfect square, so now we need each side image to fit the side of the cube. Use “Select” tool and, while holding button, draw a selection on your image. You will get “perfect square”. Press Ctrl+C to copy, return to your cube document and press Ctrl+V to paste.
6. Drop the Opacity for your image to 20%. Press Ctrl+T to call free transformation tool. While holding down Ctrl key, select top left corner and move it until it fits perfectly into the top left corner of your cube. Repeat this step with each corner of your square until the image is aligned perfectly with that edge of our cube:
7. Return back to your image document. Select perfect square from another point, Copy and Past into the document with the cube. Repeat step 9 to align this image with the left side of the cube.
8. Repeat previous step to create bottom side of cube. Raise the opacity of the cube’s sides back up to 100%:
9. Press Ctrl+E twice to merge all of the sides into one layer.
10. Press to call Move tool and drag cube onto the document with original image:
11. Double click Layer1 to call layer’s property dialog and select Outter Glow. Use the settings as shown on image below:
12. Now select layer “background” and go to Image> Adjustment > Brightness/Contrast. Decrease the brightness and contrast for background image:
Enjoy your new effect!