In this tutorial, we’ll learn how to take any photo and convert it into a black and white photo with splashes of color. This is a great technique for anyone who wants to add dynamic color effects and emphasize various features of a photograph.
1. Open up a color image of a face in Photoshop, preferablly one where all the facial features are exposed.
2. Goto Layer > Duplicate Layer… and when the popup appears, name the duplicate layer “Black White”.
3. Goto Image > Adjustments > Desaturate (or press CTRL+SHIFT+U). The “Black White” duplicate layer should turn black and white.
4. With the “Black White” layer active, select the Eraser tool. Select an appropriate brush size. Then zoom in and begin erasing the areas of the photo where you want the color to appear.
5. Continue to erase any other aspects of the photo until you have the final result that you are looking for. In this tutorial, I erased the lips and the hair from the “Black White” layer and the result is a black and white photo white the woman’s lips and hair in full color.