Have you ever wanted to see what your car might look like with a different paint job. Well, this tutorial is the answer. In this tutorial, you’ll learn a very basic technique for changing the color of car. This is a great tutorial for anyone considering whether to get a new paint job, but they are not sure what the new paint job might look like.
1. Open in Photoshop a photograph of a car/automobile that you would like to change the color.
2. Click on the “Quick Mask Mode” toggle button.
3. Now select black from the swatches palette, then select the paint brush tool. Begin coloring in the paint area of the car. Please note: When you are in Quick Mask Mode, the paint brush will paint a transparent red color. This tells you which area you have colored in with Quick Mask Mode.
4. As you can see above in the illustration, I am filling in the painted area of the car.
5. However, it’s important to get clean edges as well and this involves using a smaller brush size for the fine edges of the paint on the car.
6.When it’s done, you should have the entire car’s paint colored in the transparent red of the Quick Mask.
7. When you are finished coloring in the Quick Mask, then click the “Edit In Standard Mode” button to exit “Quick Mask Mode”.
8. You should now see a selection around the painted area of the car; however, this selection is really a selection of everything, except the paint. What you want is for the paint area to be selected instead. In order to do this, you need to goto Select > Inverse from the main menu. This will make it so that the paint of the car is now selected.
9. Now goto Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation from the main menu.
10. When the Hue/Saturation pop-up box appears, adjust the “Hue” slider. Adjusting the “Hue” slider will change the color of the car. Just keep sliding the slider until you find the color you want.
11. When you are satisfied, click OK to close the Hue/Saturation box and your car should now have the new color.