These little graphic button squares are great for websites. What’s especially nice about them is that the image you place enhances the theme of the topic for where the link of that button will lead to. In this tutorial, we’ll walk you through step-by-step on how to create this cool graphic button.
1. Open a New Document in Photoshop. Choose a small size canvas for your graphic button square.
2. Create a new layer. Name it “Square”.
3. Select the Rectangle Tool and draw a grey rectangle on your canvas.
4. Right click the “Square” layer from the layers palette. Choose “Blending Options” from the pop-up list.
5. Set the properties for “Gradient Overlay” to the following:
6. Set the properties for “Stroke” to the following:
7. Click OK to see your gradient rectangle.
8. Select the Type Tool. Type the label for your graphic button square.
9. Right click the Type layer from the layers palette. Choose “Blending Options” from the pop-up list.
10. Set the properties for “Drop Shadow” to the following:
11. Use the Move Tool and move the label down a bit from the rectangle.
12. Create a new layer below all aother layers. Name this layer “Shadow”.
13. Select the Polygonal Lasso tool and create a shadow selection behind the rectangle.
14. Use the Paint Bucket tool and fill the shadow selection with grey.
15. Make sure the “Shadow” layer is still active. Click the “Add Layer Mask” button from the layers palette.
16. A new box will appear to the right of the Shadow layer. Click this box so that it is active.
17. Select the Gradient Tool. Make sure gradient is from white to black.
18. Drag gradient cursor from bottom left to top right over the shadow to give it a faded appearance.
19. Now paste your graphic onto a new layer that is above all other layers.
20. Repeat this tutorial to create all the other buttons for your website.