Need to create a red blood cell for a medical graphic design presentation. In this tutorial, we’ll walk through the easy steps for creating a red blood cell. Afterwards, you can copy and paste the completed cell to create as many as you want, giving off the effect of a stream of red blood cells.
1. Open a new document in Photoshop. Set height/width to 300×300 px.
2. Create a new layer. Name this layer “Blood Cell”.
3. Select the Eliptical Marquee tool. Create a circular selection.
4. Select the Gradient tool. Set the gradient from bright red to dark maroon (Hex #FF0000 to #8A0000).
5. Make sure the gradient is set to Radial Gradient and drag a from top left to bottom right of the circular selection. You should get the following image:
6. Select the Eliptical Marquee tool. Create a smaller circular selection inside the previous red orb you created.
7. Goto Select > Feather. Set the Feather Radius to 10.
8. Select the Gradient tool again. Using the previous red to dark marroon settings, drag your cursor from bottom right to the top left.
9. Click Ctrl+D to deselect. You should get the following image:
10. Right click the “Blood Cell” layer from the layers palette. Choose “Blending Options” from the pop-up list.
11. Set the properties for “Bevel and Emboss” to the following:
12. Click OK to accept changes.
13. Create a new layer above the “Blood Cell” layer. Name this layer “Shadow”.
14. Select the Eliptical Marquee tool and create a circle in the lower right area of the cell.
15. Hold down the ALT key and drag another circle selection over the upper left area of the circle selection. This will remove the portion of the circle selection creating an moon shape selection.
16. Goto Select > Feather. Set the Feather Radius to 5. Click OK.
17. Use the Paint Bucket tool and fill in the selection with a dark maroon color.
18. Click Ctrl+D to deselect. You should now have your red blood cell.